Veteran & Active Duty Educational Benefits

Benedictine University thanks all active and prior military members for their service.

Each student must apply for benefits directly with the VA. Once official approval of the student’s eligibility to participate in an educational program is received, the student is responsible for requesting certification from the Office of Financial Aid every term.

The Office of Financial Aid is then responsible for certifying current school enrollment and requesting payment based on the student’s number of enrolled hours. NOTE: Enrollment certifications are submitted to the VA within 30 days from the first day of classes.

Complete the Online Form

Using Your Benefits at Benedictine

In order to utilize benefits under any VA educational program, the following steps must be completed prior to every term use of benefits is being requested.

  1. Complete the VA Electronic Application

    The application is available online directly with the Department of Veterans Affairs.

    Once you are approved for benefits, the VA will issue you a Certificate of Eligibility within 90 days. Upon receipt, immediately submit a copy of the certificate to the Office of Financial Aid.
  2. Complete VA Certification Request and Student Responsibility Certification and submit to Benedictine University, Office of Financial Aid.

    If you prefer to complete a paper copy you may do so by clicking here for a pdf form. Print and submit the hard copy to the Office of Financial Aid, Lownik Hall, 5700 College Road, Lisle, IL 60532.

    Or electronically submit the request by completing the Online Form.

    When completing this form you will be asked to upload both an active Certificate of Eligibility and a copy of your DD214. If you have not yet received your Certificate of Eligibility, submit this form regardless as it allows us to begin processing your application.

    In order to be certified to receive benefits timely, this form must be submitted for every term you wish to have benefits applied.

  3. Submit active copies of your DD214 and Certificate of Eligibility.

    Students who are no longer active duty must submit a copy of their DD214 to the Office of Financial Aid via the online VA Certification Request and Student Responsibility Certification form (LINK) or by emailing

  4. Submit a Change of Program or Place of Training Form (Form 22-1995), if applicable

    If you have previously used VA benefits to attendance at another school, or have previously used benefits towards another program, you must complete Form 22-1995 through the VA site and submit a copy to the Office of Financial Aid.

Benedictine University does not determine benefit eligibility. The Office of Financial Aid merely confirms enrollment and program costs for enrolled students. All questions regarding eligibility and what is covered by program benefits should be directed to the VA.

Benefit Eligibility

Benedictine University is able to certify eligible students to take advantage of the benefit types listed below. Click on individual chapters for further information on the benefits.

Chapter 30 - Montgomery G.I. Bill (Active Duty)

Chapter 31 - Veterans Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program (VR & E)

Chapter 32 - Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)

Chapter 33 - The Post 9/11 G.I Bill ®

Chapter 34 – Yellow Ribbon Program

Chapter 35 - Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (DEA)

Chapter 1607 - Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)

Military Spouse Career Advancement Account (MyCAA)

Benedictine University does not determine benefit eligibility. The Office of Financial Aid merely confirms enrollment and program costs for enrolled students. All questions regarding eligibility and what is covered by program benefits should be directed to the VA.

Veterans Affairs Pending Payment Policy

Beginning August 1, 2019, and despite any policy to the contrary, the Benedictine University will not take any of the four following actions toward any student using U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® (Ch. 33)1 or Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Ch. 31) benefits, while their payment from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs is pending to the educational institution:

  • Prevent their enrollment;
  • Assess a late penalty fee to;
  • Require they secure alternative or additional funding;
  • Deny their access to any resources (access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities) available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the institution.


However, to qualify for this provision, such students may be required to:

  • Produce the VA's Certificate of Eligibility by the first day of class;
  • Provide additional information needed to properly certify the enrollment as described in other institutional policies (see our VA School Certifying Official for all requirements).


1GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Who are the School Certifying Officials at Benedictine University?

The School Certifying Officials (SCOs) at Benedictine University are Vanessa Cano and Krystle Pantek. If you have questions regarding your benefits certification, you can reach out to the SCOs for assistance.
Vanessa Cano
(630) 829-6108

Krystle Pantek
(630) 829-6112

Q. Am I able to receive financial aid if I receive military student’s benefits?

Yes, you may receive financial aid in addition to your military student's benefits. Military students are encouraged to apply for student financial aid to help off-set the cost of education, because veterans benefits sometimes do not cover the entire cost of a college education.

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at

Q. Should I be aware any special circumstances regarding my income?

Yes, veterans need to be aware of some special circumstances:

  1. Federal veteran education benefits do not affect financial aid eligibility and is not considered income for federal student aid purposes.
  2. Non-educational veteran benefits such as: Disability, Death pension, Dependency & Indemnity Compensation or VA Education Work-Study allowances must be included on the FAFSA as untaxed income excluding the value of on-base military housing or the value of a basic military allowance for housing.
  3. Veteran status for student aid purposes is not necessarily the same as veteran status for VA purposes. National Guard and Reservists may not qualify automatically as independent students. Refer to the FAFSA instructions to determine if you qualify as a veteran for financial aid purposes.

Q. What is the Yellow Ribbon Program?

The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program) is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. This program allows higher learning institutions in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with VA to help fund the veteran student’s tuition expenses $18,077.50 cap for each calendar year (August 1st- July 31st.). The institution can contribute up to 50% of those expenses and VA will match the same amount as the institution.

Q. Am I eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program?

Only individuals entitled to the maximum benefit rate (based on service requirements) may receive this funding. You may be eligible if:

  • You served an aggregate period of active duty after September 10, 2001, of at least 36 months;
  • You were honorably discharged from active duty for a service connected disability and you served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001;
  • You are a dependent eligible for Transfer of Entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill ® based on a veteran’s service under the eligibility criteria listed above.

Q. Does Benedictine University participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program?

Yes, Benedictine University participates at the maximum 50% level contribution to eligible individuals who apply for the Yellow Ribbon Program on a first-come, first-served basis.

Q. I changed my class schedule after my enrollment was certified. What do I need to do?

You must notify the Office of Financial Aid of any changes to your enrollment. Changes of enrollment include adding, dropping, or withdrawing from classes.

Q. If I change my major or program of study, what do I need to do?

If you change your major or program of study, you must complete and submit the Request for Change of Program or Place of Training form.

Q. How can I get a copy of my DD-214?

The Department of Veterans Affairs does not maintain records of veterans' military service, except as necessary for providing benefits from the VA.

To obtain or amend a copy of your military service record and/or your Official Military Personnel File (DD-214, OMPFs), please visit the website for the Military Personnel Records Center (MPRC) in St. Louis, which is part of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). If you have been discharged from military service, your personnel files are stored at NARA, which is the official repository for records of military personnel who have been discharged from the U.S. Air Force, Army, Marine Corps, Navy, and Coast Guard.

Visit the NARA website

Q. What is the Veteran Affairs website?

Q. What is the Illinois Department of Veteran Affairs website?

Office of Financial Aid
Lownik Hall - Main Floor
Phone: (630) 829-6100
Fax: (630) 829-6101